Introduction to Internal Affairs Investigations Course # IA-101 Norfolk, VA
July 22, 2019
- Internal Affairs Investigation IA-101
September 18, 2019 - September 20, 2019
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
September 18-20, 2019 – Norfolk, VA.
Sponsored by the Norfolk Police Department, training provided by
Course Description: Good administrative misconduct (IA) investigations are the cornerstone for transparency, accountability, public trust, community support and reducing organization liability. This course provides investigation techniques that have been successfully used to complete basic and complex internal investigations. Best practices will be shared along with hands on practical application and tools that can be put to use immediately.
This is a highly interactive / hands on, course. Through facilitation, group discussion and team exercises attendees learn the fundamentals of internal affairs investigations, breaking down complex investigations, creating an interview matrix and writing a comprehensive report. Templates will be shared for a variety of investigations such as Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Use of Force, criminal complaints and others.
IA-101 Course objectives: Participants will have the opportunity to develop a basic understanding of;
- The role and history of misconduct investigations in law enforcement
- Responsibility to investigate and identification of complaints
- Using templates / best practices for various types of investigations
- How to prepare for and conduct effective interviews
- Why and how to develop an interview matrix
- Conducting investigations into criminal matters
- Handling administrative evidence
- Effectiveness of preparing electronic / digital investigations
- Handling stress and risks for Internal Affairs Investigators
This class is for Law Enforcement Professionals (sworn and non-sworn)
- With limited or no internal affairs experience and or training
- Responsible for Internal affairs investigations • Interested in law enforcement internal affairs investigations
- Interested in best practices for internal affairs investigations
- Interested in practical (hands-on) experience in conducting and writing internal affairs investigations
Course includes a flash drive containing class material to include templates and reports. All participants must bring a laptop with ac power cord and PowerPoint, Word and Excel programs.
Classroom location: Norfolk Police Academy 2500 N. Military Highway, Norfolk, VA 23502
Hotels: DoubleTree - Hilton Norfolk Airport, 1500 North Military Highway, Norfolk, Virginia, 23502, 1-757-466-8000
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Norfolk Airport, 1157 North Military Highway , Norfolk, Virginia 23502 1 877 410 666
For both hotels call and ask for The City of Norfolk / Police or government rate. Both hotels within walking distance of academy.
QUESTIONS / CONCERNS: Call: Dan Olson Phone: (602) 510-8481 Email: email@example.com Web Site: LDConsultingllc.com
COST: REGISTRATION: $599.00
DISCOUNTS: Early Registration $25.00 discount if PAID by August 19th, 2019, ADDITIONAL $25.00 off for IAPRO users OR LEIAG Members.
24 HR. CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION TRAINING (CPE) CERTIFICATE PROVIDED
CLASS STARTS AT 0800 HOURS ON WEDNESDAY 9/18/19 AND CONCLUDES ON FRIDAY 9/20/19 AT 1700 HOURS.
Venue: Norfolk Police Academy