Introduction to Internal Affairs Investigations Course # IA-101 (Portland OR)
October 21, 2019
- Introduction to Internal Affairs Investigations Course # IA-101
February 26, 2020 - February 28, 2020
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
February 26-28, 2020 – Portland Oregon
Sponsored by: Presented by:
Course Description: Good administrative misconduct (IA) investigations are the cornerstone for transparency, accountability, public trust, community support and reducing organization liability. This course provides fundamental investigative techniques that have been successfully used to complete basic and complex internal investigations. Best practices will be shared along with hands on practical application and tools that can be put to use immediately. This class is the first in a series of two internal affairs investigation courses.
This is a highly interactive / hands on, course. Through facilitation, group discussion and team exercises attendees learn the fundamentals of internal affairs investigations, breaking down complex investigations, creating an interview matrix and writing a comprehensive report. Templates will be shared for a variety of investigations such as Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), Use of Force, criminal complaints and others.
IA-101 Course objectives:
Participants will have the opportunity to develop a basic understanding of;
- The role and history of misconduct investigations in law enforcement
- Responsibility to investigate and identification of complaints
- Using templates / best practices for various types of investigations
- How to prepare for and conduct effective interviews
- Why and how to develop an interview matrix
- Conducting investigations into criminal matters
- Handling administrative evidence
- Handling stress and risks for Internal Affairs Investigators
This class is for Law Enforcement Professionals (sworn and non-sworn)
- With limited or no internal affairs experience and or training (this is an introductory course)
- Responsible for Internal affairs investigations
- Interested in law enforcement internal affairs investigations
- Interested in best practices for internal affairs investigations
- Interested in practical (hands-on) experience in conducting and writing internal affairs investigations
Course includes a flash drive containing class material to include templates and reports. All participants must bring a laptop with ac power cord and PowerPoint, Word and Excel programs. Although not required it is best if the laptop has Internet WiFi capability.
Classroom site: Portland International Airport, 7000 NE Airport Way Suite 3109, Portland, OR. 97218. Classroom: PDX Conference Center – St Helens B Classroom
Hotel: There are numerous hotels in the area. The newest is the Holiday Inn Express on NE Cascades Parkway. Here’s the link for special rates (should be the same as government rate) Port of Portland Rate
Holiday Inn Express: Courtesy shuttle to and from Airport and Cascade Station from 4am to 12 midnight.
QUESTIONS / CONCERNS: Call: Dan Olson
Phone: (602) 510-8481 Email: email@example.com Web Site: https://www.ldconsultingllc.com
Airport site location questions: Call Sgt. T.J. Eriksen, Port of Portland PD Adm Operations and Training 503-460-4216
REGISTRATION: On Line at https://www.ldconsultingllc.com/schedule
DISCOUNTS: Early Registration $25.00 discount if PAID by 1/27/2020, Additional $25.00 off for agencies OR LEIAG members.
Class starts at 0800 hours on Wednesday 2/26/20 and concludes on Friday 2/28/20 at 1700 hours.
See instructor bio on back of flyer.