LEIA-301: Law Enforcement Audits for Government Auditors
Public scrutiny of law enforcement operations is currently at unprecedented levels. This creates additional challenges for government auditors working to evaluate risks and conduct audit engagements related to law enforcement operations. Law enforcement audits differ from other governmental audits, and can be hugely successful when performed in consideration of risks, procedures, and the culture unique to the law enforcement environment. This course provides government auditors insights into law enforcement culture as well as specific high-risk factors and tools to assess operations. In this interactive course, students will participate in practical exercises involving high-risk law enforcement operations.
Course objectives: – Participants will individually demonstrate their ability to:
- Roles and history of oversight and audits in law enforcement
- Conducting audit engagements in the law enforcement culture
- Risk assessment model / internal controls
- Use of force (UOF) audits
- Investigative case management audits
- Professional standards / internal affairs DOJ best practices
- Property and evidence audits
This course is for Government Auditors:
- With any level of experience conducting law enforcement audits
- Interested in performing law enforcement audit engagements
Delivery Method: Group-Live
Instructor(s): Erin J. Kenney, CIA, CFE, CGAP, and CLEA. Erin was the Acting Commanding Officer of the Los Angeles Police Department’s award-winning Audit Division and was responsible for leading the unit beyond a federal Consent Decree and to international recognition for best practices in police auditing and training. Dan Olson and Mike Giammarino who have over 20 years of police auditing experience as sworn law enforcement professionals will co-facilitate the course.
Sessions will include jump drives containing reports, audit plans and programs. All participants must bring a laptop with ac power cord and windows PowerPoint and Word programs. Although not required it is best if the laptop has Internet WiFi capability.
Course Hours: Two day course: 8:00 am- 5:00 pm